Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A bitch is shaken to my core…

…because I agree with Dan Bartlett.

Sob.

Wait!

Wait, wait, wait…just listen!

It’s not as if I completely agree with the man (gulp followed by a blink).

But I do agree that Fred Thompson is a big motherfucking dud who was built up as the second coming of Reagan and comes across like a sleep deprived Ben Matlock…and I agree that social conservative voters will bullshit themselves on why they aren’t voting for Romney when they really can’t get down with the Mormon thing.

I even agree that Governor Huckabee is a candidate to watch out for…and that his name is going to come off un-Presidential to most conservative voters.

Blink.

But I disagree with Bartlett on the things that count, damn it…like whether the President has lost his damn mind, and whether Republicans have a good record to run on and that dinosaur bones are just evidence of mutated iguanas and have nothing to do with evolution!

Oh fuck…a bitch needs a cleanse, don’t I?

ABB’s Sharktastic Cleansification of Thy Liberal Soul Post Neo-con Sorta-Agreement…

I must act quickly before the poison is absorbed into my body (wink)!

...opens the sacred Book of Bitchitude to page 250...

It says here that I’m to read aloud the words of Robert F. Kennedy (his speech to South African students in 1966)…

“Some believe there is nothing one man or one woman can do against the enormous array of the world's ills -- against misery, against ignorance, or injustice and violence. Yet many of the world's great movements, of thought and action, have flowed from the work of a single man. A young monk began the Protestant reformation, a young general extended an empire from Macedonia to the borders of the earth, and a young woman reclaimed the territory of France. It was a young Italian explorer who discovered the New World, and 32 year old Thomas Jefferson who proclaimed that all men are created equal. ‘Give me a place to stand,' said Archimedes, ‘and I will move the world.'

These men moved the world, and so can we all. Few will have the greatness to bend history itself, but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation. It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.”

Sigh.

Oh yes.

A bitch is much better now...

...but Fred Thompson still looks like a roughed up Ben Matlock.

7 comments:

Red Seven said...

When Thompson announced his candidacy, many of my friends were worried, "because actors do really well among Republicans," citing Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger as examples.

And I thought ... yeah, but Reagan was a leading man in his heyday and Arnold was primarily known as the bodybuilder with an acting career. Thompson just looks like a big ugly trout. There's no glamour there. And those pictures of him with his (young) wife and (young!) kids are a little off-putting. It looks like he's posing with his daughter and grandkids. And hey, maybe it's true love and I'm too cynical, but that $#!t ain't gonna play in Peoria; just sayin'.

proudprogressive said...

He undead fred, came across so ..re animated i guess, his answers all party line, contradictd himself several times..zero charisma..but as Eric said and we all now too well, empty suits and depth of knowledge of world affairs are not criteria for repuliban candidates. In fact they like em dumb and able to spew the Neo agenda Free Market ..let em eat cake. Every person for themselves..its all so american. Blech ! None of em are gonna win. Weak , weak , weak.

Homer said...

The Republicans are so desperate for an electable candidate. It is painful to listen to them fawn over Freddy, when it is rather obvious that he isn't particularly smart and can't talk worth shit. Contrast that with the Democratic frontrunners and I'd be worried too, if I were one of those Repubs.

Anonymous said...

I cross posted that quote into my journal -- it made me feel better too :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful speech. I always thought RFK more likely to have been a truly great president than JFK.
But I would add that it's not only the young who can change the world.
-- Hypatia

dmarks said...

Big ugly trout? I blogged a couple of weeks ago that he looked like an old, angry Kelsey Grammer.

Elizabeth said...

Not to worry dear, it will pass. It's like getting the bends when you come up from deep water; we've all been mind-f--ked for so long by the outside world not lining up with our internal perceptions, that it's jarring when it does.....

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...