Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Today is a bitch’s brother’s birthday!

My beloved older brother is 35 years old today. Yeah!

My brother Bill is the most amazing person that I know. He is autistic. Not Rain Man autistic, but “oh shit, this dude is autistic!” autistic. Bill has always been the single most inspiring person that I know. A bitch witnessed his frustration as he struggled to learn the coping mechanisms that were vital to his survival in the modern world. And my ass resented the hell out of him for getting all the attention all the time.

Shit, just because he’s autistic doesn’t mean a bitch can’t indulge in some sibling rivalry!

Through my 20’s I wasn’t able to spend much time with Bill. My sister and I have always known that we would eventually have to step into the guardian role, so a bitch consciously lived my 20’s so that I wouldn’t resent the sacrifices of my 30s.

Bill has a vocabulary of less than 100 words, yet is a master manipulator particularly when McDonald’s is under discussion. He is profoundly autistic, but maintains close friendships and an active social life. It took my brother 7 years to learn how to use the bathroom and over a decade to learn the few words he verbalizes. Yet, despite his many achievements his greatest is his job. Bill has worked at Chic-fil-A for several years. He gets up at 4 am to prepare for work, because he just that excited about his job. And the ABB family is very grateful to Chic-fil-A for supporting alternative work solutions that provide opportunities for mentally challenged adults.

Whenever a bitch gets too full of myself I think about my brother Bill. I remember the joy he gets out of a simple value meal from McDonalds. I remember the eager excitement he exhibits when I ask him how works was.

So, even though I’m pretty sure he’s not even aware a bitch has a blog I would like to say a huge Happy Birthday to my big brother Bill!

Thanks for making this world a better place for 35 years.

8 comments:

Eva said...

Happy Birthday Bill! I wish him many more to come.


(I have a big brother with Cerebral Palsy. He gets up 5am to get ready for his job and to take out the trash. lol)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Bill!

That was a beautiful post, ABB... :)

Crafty and Crap said...

Great post. I used to work a camp for autistic children and adults of all levels. I could never put into words the feelings I felt. Sometimes it was definate frustration but sometimes it was moments of pure beauty.

Sandee said...

Happy birthday, Bill!

Beautiful post!

(my son is autistic, he just turned 14!)

BarefootCajun said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Bill! Hope your day is fantastic.

What a beautiful tribute, ABB! :-)

Shark-Fu said...

Thanks to you all. A bitch enjoyed a thoroughly autistic brunch that involved Bill randomly leaving and returing to the birthday scene when he wanted to request cake. Just like the good ole days! Cake and ice-cream for everyone!

Dixie said...

Happy birthday, Bill! The celebration of your life has made a lot of people who've read your story very happy!

Cynthia said...

Happy Birthday Bill. What a nice tribute to your brother.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...