Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Yesterday...

A bitch has been feeling overwhelmed lately. I can’t put my finger on one specific thing…rather it’s a lot of unrelated things weighing on my mind.

Sigh.

But a moment of joy happened today as I was driving home to let the hounds out for their mid-day pee and I just have to share it!

Yesterday, a gospel song by Mary Mary, came on the radio.

Now, y’all know I adore gospel. It’s one of the things I miss most about church! If you haven’t heard Yesterday you need to. The lyrics are inspiration defined.

So, this bitch is driving up Vandeventer and Yesterday comes on the radio.

I had enough heartache and enough headaches

Blink.

Are you there Gawd? It’s me…Shark-fu!

I've had so many ups and downsDon't know how much more I can take

Mercy!

See I decided that I cried my last tear yesterday

Have you ever heard the right song at the perfect moment?

Yeah…it was like that.

Either I'm going to trust you or I may as well walk away
'cause stressing don't make it better
Don't make it better, no way

Ain’t that the truth?

See I decided that I cried my last tear yesterday
Yesterday, I decided to put my trust in you
Yesterday, I realized that you will bring me through

Tell it!! Tell it!

I decided that I cried my last tear yesterday!

Mmmhmmm…a bitch was having church whilst driving Ms. SisterGirl Cabrio!

And it felt…perfect.

I was singing my heart out…feeling those words in my bones! I turned the volume up and just let it go…gave it all up…and, in the process, relaxed and released all that drama and bullshit.

I glanced over and saw that the woman in the car next to me was singing too...singing the same song! Our eyes connected and we exchanged smiles…the music of liberation shared between us.

Fellowship.

9 comments:

John Powers said...

"I glanced over and saw that the woman in the car next to me was singing too...singing the same song! Our eyes connected and we exchanged smiles…the music of liberation shared between us."

So beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way when I hear "Shackles (Praise You)" on the radio. :) Thanks for the tip. I needed to hear that song today too.

Maya's Granny said...

Sorry you've been down. Sometimes, when you see clearly what most deny or truly do not see, it is hard not to get down. And sometimes the stuff of your own life can do it.

Glad that the music helped. And that you connected with the other singer. There is something about realizing that someone else sees/thinks/feels what we feel that is so wonderful.

One of the reasons I like to read your blog is that so often you see what I've been seeing. It helps me to know that I am not the only one. Even when what I'm looking at is ugly.

Anonymous said...

Decided to come out of lurking mode to tell you how much I enjoy your blog first thing in the morning, every morning. I expect my creative writing class to read you also and to be prepared and able to discuss and analyse any given subject. I cannot tell you how much this has energized my class specially during the run up to the US elections.You have broaden and enriched their young minds enormously. You have a great bunch of Canadian student fans up here who all salute you and send you a great big Canadian EH?

As for your ride in the car & gospel, good on you for keeping it together, I would have had to pull over, gospel that good always makes me cry! Such a whuzzz!
Have a great Thanksgiving!
from the Creative Writing class 101, Kirin

ChristopherM said...

I was thinking on my way home from school today that those of us starting to prep for final exams sure could use a Bitchfirmation from the ABB. I didn't even think that maybe the ABB could use one herself. I hope that after you got lifted up by Mary Mary, you fluffed your afro and went on with your bad self.

TwinsGoddess said...

That is fantastic.

Someone once gave me a mix CD that included Eva Cassidy doing "How Can I Keep From Singing." I've never been much of a fan of Ms. Cassidy or gospel music, but that particular song has gotten me through some ugly, ugly times. It still gives me goosebumps when I listen to it.

Anonymous said...

You are sooo good for slapping my roots straight back to the surface. That's why I read you, sistah Shark-fu.

I wonder how they get buried so often. But that's another story.

Today, it's gospel on the car radio. I have satellite radio, and I can look forward to something that will make me dance in my seat and shout out loud.

Amen.

Hammer said...

And that, ABB is why I sing, write music and play! Music has a way of cutting right to your soul through all the physical bullshit. I love it.

So, since you mentioned church. . .is the reason George W. Bush has 144,000 troops in Iraq related to biblical prophecy? (i.e. the 144,000 chosen to be messengers in what is known as the 3rd testament).

HammerChe

Anonymous said...

So glad you posted this for others. I never take Yesterday off my iPod.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...