Friday, March 23, 2007

Illish and bitter 'bout it...

This bitch has a cold.

Or maybe this is allergies?

Fuck it….who can think with this much cough medicine in their system?

Cough...sniff...wheeze...

The Roots…
Last night a bitch took my illish self out to see The Roots at The Pageant. This bitch, Brother Rob Thurman, my Play Husband and his man-friend were among the masses getting our funk-infused hip hop on!

It was a great show and the crowd gave off a fantabulous vibe, so this bitch is glad I rallied.

Quote of the night deliberately provided without context … “Girl, are you telling me they pay money for you to whoop their ass? Shit, I need a job like that!”

Wink.

Moving forward…

This bitch plans to lay low this weekend and get some serious writing done. My one plan, other than not answering my phone is to cook the following yummified recipe.

This one’s straight from the bayou of Louisiana courtesy of the fantabulous thatfarmgirl (hugs to you, m’dear).

CARROT STEW
1 pork chop, bone in
2 cans sliced carrots, drained (or a large bag of fresh carrots, peeled and sliced)
1 bunch green onions
Scant 1/4 cup oil
Scant 1/4 cup flour
One medium onion, chopped
Two cloves garlic, minced

Season your pork chop and brown it in a little oil until well browned on both sides. Remove from pan and add remaining oil (it's okay if you use a little more than 1/4 c. of oil...just up your flour amount to match).

Make a roux! While oil is hot, add flour and whisk/stir constantly until roux is light brown. You MUST keep stirring or the roux will burn. Don't even think about stopping to take a sip of a vodka cran...

When roux is light-ish brown, add onions and saute 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and saute another minute, then add carrots and a little less than 2 cans of hot water. Put pork chop on top of carrots. Bring to a boil for one minute, then turn down to simmer and put a lid on it. Simmer for about an hour, checking frequently to see if you need to add more water. The roux and smothered carrots will make a delicious gravy. Serve over white rice and sprinkle green onions on top. Season with salt and LOTS of black pepper.

Gawd, help me…it even reads yummy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're the best, Shark-fu! not only am I waiting breathlessly for the Roots to come back my way, but that carrot stew recipe may be just what I need to put the serious overflow of yummy farm carrots in my kitchen to good use.

xo

Marienkäfer said...

Hi ABB,

I have been a reader of your blog since Salon profiled it over a year ago. I am ever inspired and entertained by your perspectives on a wide range of political, soclal and legal issues, and was wondering if you were familiar with the case of Shaquanda Cotton. According to her blog, she is 14 year old black child in Texas, who was given 7 years in prison for shoving a hall monitor at her school.

Her website is http://freeshaquandacotton.blogspot.com/

This doesn't have to be posted on your blog, but if the story is true, I was wondering about your thoughts on the topic.

Be well,

Naledi

Sue said...

I am in the Volvo and on the way to St. Lou....

christine mtm said...

as one just recovering from a household of people with strep throat i can honestly say, "feel better soon!!!"

Blue Girl, Red State said...

Feel better soon.

I do the matzo ball soup thing myself when I feel illish. I rallied pretty good when I got two big links from major blogs in two days. Maybe the folks on my blogroll will get some rhythm too. Here's hoping it's good for all of us!

Anonymous said...

I saw The Roots show here in Kansas City on Wednesday night. I still have chills...

Maya's Granny said...

Can I come to your house to eat?

Maven said...

Tis the season for allergies!

Hope you're feeling not-so-illish ASAP!!

Clio Bluestocking said...

Hope you are feeling better.

I'm going to have to try that carrot stew. So yummy sounding (and I just love that you not only know what a roux is, but how to make it properly)!

Anonymous said...

Garlic is the spice of life, darlin'. Eat a couple of raw cloves. You'll have the smell seeping from your pores, but it'll do the trick. :)

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...