Friday, December 01, 2006

Yeah, that one...

And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.
Aeschylus

For JCM, the Magnificent Maggie D. and in remembrance of Sean.

Did you dance?

And when you danced, did you dance really hard?

Yeah, but did you laugh?

And when you laughed was it without caution or reserve?

Did you smile that smile?

You know the one...yeah, that one.

Oh, did you love?

Did you love with abandon and were you loved in return?

Yes.

Oh, yes you did.

Mmmm....yes.

Oh yes, you were loved.

Behind the numbers...within the statistics of HIV/AIDS...there are people.

People who have danced...hard.

Who have laughed without caution...from the gut until their sides hurt.

Who smiled that smile.

You know the one?

Yeah, that one.

May those who have passed on be blessed until we meet again.

And may those living wth HIV/AIDS dance that dance, laugh that laugh...

Smile that smile.

Yeah that one.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

On World AIDS Day, I mourn the loss of my friend Jim who died of AIDS complications in February 1992. And I rejoice in the good health of my friend Joe who has been positive since the early 90's.

Thanks for acknowledging the day, Miss Fu!

Anonymous said...

ABB,

Thank you for your wonderful thoughts and my all-time favorite quote from the ancient Greeks.

I am also hoping that you and Betsy are warm and snuggled in bed watching the snow fall, listening to hip-hop, munching on Smarties and sipping a vodka cran.

Oh, and remember to go sledding tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

words to honor those we've lost. Thank you for remembering.

christine mtm said...

that was beautiful and it made me remember the smiles of the people i've known and lost from this awful disease.

thanks

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is so beautiful,
I am crying.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful poem. . .

Just the other day I found a rare burst of energy which took me to the Cafe in SF, where I proceeded to dance real hard. . . And I recalled the days when I was surrounded by so many others who also would shout and dance real hard... and now they're gone.

I dedicate all days we find the need to dance our asses off to those who no longer can.

Anonymous said...

Well Done

Me. Here. Right now. said...

I loved this piece, Shark Fu! And, I too honored a friend on my site: http://www.hahnathome.com Arthur was fan-fucking-tablulous

Anonymous said...

that is a really sad poem, it makes me sigh.

anyone who sees this comment, and is interested, should check out a play called "The Baltimore Waltz" by paula vogel. i really loved it, it was haunting and it dealt with AIDS in a unique and powerful way. it was a lot like the above poem, it was sentimental but tastefully so.

i think performances of it are kind of rare, but reading it is a great experience, too.

Anonymous said...

And for Kyle and Eddie and Joe and Dan. For Carol and Francie. Strong, powerful woman who danced and smiled and laughed till the end.

And let's not forget how long ago this began and the ignorance which surrounded it. Ignorance which now has come back to haunt us and continues to kill us.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...