Friday, April 20, 2007

A choice pondering...

Lawd, have mercy!

A bitch is busy and overwhelmed with all the to-dos mounting up on my list of shit to do.

Ugh.

For the love of all bitchitude, my ass has been too busy to bitch!

I know…it’s beyond shocking (wink).

A choice pondering...

This bitch heard the news that the Supreme Court has ruled against choice this week and was alarmed. What alarms me the most is that I find myself debating a medical procedure when this precedent is about so much more.

I’ve said it before but, fuck it, I’ll say it again...this bitch does not belong to a sect of liberals that meet in a dark wood and chant spells calling for more abortions.

My activism in my community is based on education and creating a healthy dialogue about sex so that we are all empowered to make the right decisions for us.

I believe that those decisions should be made between the individual and their medical provider.

And though I find the idea of any court stepping into a medical relationship bizarre…and the unsaid indictment within these rulings that doctors who perform abortions are blood hungry beasts beyond insulting…this battle is about choice and we must all struggle against accepting the premise of the anti-choice arguments.

Valuing a culture of life…means educating the public about risks, diseases, how our bodies work, what healthy sex, what pleasure is, what medicines do what and why some medicines exist.

It does not mean raising our youth in a world of denial, myth, fear and ignorance.

In choice there is power…and that is what these people fear.

Through education…we find health and that is what they seek to deny.

Through sex education we encourage mature behavior and decisions…and that just will not do, now will it?

And why won’t that do?

Why do they fear intelligence?

Why do they encourage ignorance and the risky behavior that follows?

Why are they celebrating?

And what the fuck happened to all that "settled law" bullshit?

Stari decisis, my black ass!

Lawd, give me strength.

Mmmmhmm, it’s well past time we start asking why these motherfuckers are dedicating so much time towards denying access to medical procedures and so little time towards educating people and promoting sexual health.

Who benefits from a world without choice and sex education?

I already know who suffers.

7 comments:

Maya's Granny said...

This was so predictable. When they let Bush have Roberts and Alioto it was obvious that this was going to be next. How the Dems could let it go without a fight I don't know. I knew this was going to happen. You knew this was going to happen. Why didn't the Dems in the Senate know this was going to happen?

Anonymous said...

Right on! I really coulnd't have said it better (especially through this pissed-off clenched jaw of mine that really just wants to go bite some politicans) so thanks for getting me off the fuming&stewing path and back on the "oh hell-no you don't get away with this shit" path to my reps and all their friends in D.C.
Merci!

christine mtm said...

what a different world we would live in if we taught sexual health... fewer rapes, unwanted pregnancy, std's... and the list goes on and on.

Anonymous said...

This is government by the apathetic and unengaged people, for the apathetic and unengaged people. The rest of us are suffering under the tyranny of the majority. Elect better presidents and you'll get a better court. Sad and sorry shit.

Fu, got your message and called the catalog peeps back. Kiss my dawgs for me. Having fun in the Berkshires.

C-Money

ChristopherM said...

There's no doubt either that this is just the first shot to be fired on gains made on equal rights over the past 30 years. Next is probably going to be the Court dismantling our wonderful volunteer busing program here in Louisville through Jefferson County Public Schools that has resulted in quality diverse education for all kids. I hope Ralph Nader and all the folks who said in 2000 that it doesn't matter whether you vote for a Democrat or Republican are satisfied with themselves.

Damn, I need a cocktail...feel free to pop over to Kentucky for a vodka cran, ABB.sheridan

Anonymous said...

From NYTimes article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/19/washington/19scotus.html?pagewanted=2

"In describing the federal law’s [partial-birth abortion] justifications, Justice Kennedy said that banning the procedure was in fact good for women, protecting them against terminating their pregnancies by a method they might not fully understand in advance and would come to regret later."

WOW!

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that the women who will be most hurt by this stupid woman-hating decision are those whose pregnancies are wanted but have gone wrong, for one of the myriad reasons pregnancies can go wrong, such as a tubal pregnancy which can kill both mother and baby! Very likely the woman who does not wish to be pregnant would have taken care of the situation long before "late term."

Nevertheless, this horrible decision is one more brick in the wall of ensuring subrogation of women by men--don't try telling me American women are not living in a system just as screwed up as any in the world! I'm damned mad enough to chew nails.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...