Tuesday, September 12, 2006

To be determined…

A bitch settled in to watch the Presidential address last night…Betsey the sorta-beagle by my side and a truly exceptional vodka cran in my hand.

Scooter B. jumped right on in as usual.

He’s not one to indulge in a Reagan-esque emotion building pre-speech allow me to gather my thoughts pause.

The speech was rather passionate on the Bush scale of verbal passion.

You can read the full transcript here.

And yes, I needed the Excedrin.

But a bitch’s headache was not from vodka based overindulgence or from simply hearing Scooter B.’s rundown of lessons learned and missions accomplished.

It had been building all day…a slow vicious throbbing beneath the scull so present within me that a bitch was certain my ass could feel the physical pulse of it by simply touching finger to flesh.

Thump…followed by thump…pulse…always followed by wretched pulse…and it grew and grew until my mind gave birth to it…right behind my eyes…during that speech.

“The war against this enemy is more than a military conflict. It is the decisive ideological struggle of the 21st century and the calling of our generation.”

Yes, there is a decisive ideological struggle going on here in America too.

And that domestic struggle is married to the struggle abroad.

Warring factions are debating the post-September 11 definition of America… give me liberty or give me death is doing battle with the one percent doctrine…and this battle rages without the participation of most Americans.

It is easy to loose sight of the ideological struggle in the face of pain and loss.

But it made my head ache last night…took my breath away.

Are we the aspirational society betting it all on a Pax Americana?

September 11, 2001 changed the way we look at the world…what we wanted the world to see when it looks at us…and what we want to see gaze back at us in mirrored reflection.

The details?

To be determined…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree....there is a deep domestic ideological struggle going on here.

Friðvin said...

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one needing a vodka. I just drank mine straight outta the bottle, and I wasn't even watching Bush. But I knew he was on that that's all I needed.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...