Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Empowerment is...

A bitch just has to share a conversation my ass had this morning on the way to work.

As I turned onto Kingshighway my phone rang and the number of a shelter I volunteer at popped up. They never call me unless they are in need of emergency coverage or babysitting, so I picked it up.

ABB… "Hello?”

There was a long pause and a bitch was about the hang up when a child’s voice came through the other end.

“Miz P?”

My mind scrambled to place the voice with one of the youngsters at the shelter... "Ummm, yes?”

“Where you been?!?”…
the pout came through loud and clear across the phone.

“M?” I asked, finally recognizing the voice as one of the sassy 5 year olds residing with her mother and infant sibling at the shelter.

“Where you been?” M demanded again.

“Oh, honey…I’ve been working and had to miss the last class. Did you miss me?”

“Yes.”

Is something wrong? Are you okay?”

“No.”

“No, nothing is wrong or no you’re not okay?”

She giggled… "I’m okay. You silly!” She paused and then said “We’re moving and you need to say bye-bye!”

Ah!

“When are you moving, M?” I asked, careful to keep my voice bright.

“Saturday! My mommy got a house and I have my own room for just me and my doll-babies! Are you going to say bye ‘fore we go? Are you going to come say bye-bye to me and the doll-babies too?”

Sigh.

“I wouldn’t miss it.”

“Huh?” she shot back.

“I’ll be there!” I said, pretending to be exasperated.

“Good.” She said and then, in the way of five year olds using the phone to talk to grown people, hung up smartly in my face.

I had arrived at my office and sat in my car mentally running that conversation back…a little sad to hear one of my favorite families was leaving and thrilled for them at the same time.

Celebrating her sobriety one day at a time, M’s mother is working and building a career…she is the mother of two…and she is moving her family into a home of their own Saturday.

Go on with your bad self…GO ON!

Let’s just hope a bitch doesn’t have to hug all the doll-babies.

Mercy.

Empowerment is the gift that keeps on giving...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice story. I know it's bittersweet to see a client move on, but at the same time you feel a sense of pride in their accomplishments. I look forward to reading your blog...its interesting to say the least.

my coffee is always said...

Hug the doll babies... I've learned in those situations, sometimes, it's more about what we need, than what anyone else needs in that moment... Good luck

storm indigo said...

How beautiful! It's wonderful to see things work as they are intended. Bless M's mom, it is very hard to start over. And, bless your heart Shark-fu, for being involved enough that M, and her doll-babies, want to say goodbye to you.

~Macarena~ said...

But she'd be so happy if you hugged them all! I love the way she bossed you about. M's rule!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for momma. I wish them some much love and the best!

Anonymous said...

Love this. So often we hear only the down side of things. This proves there is hope.

Anonymous said...

AWWWWWWWW so sad BUT very happy.
Hug them all and be happy to know that you made a difference.
Keep on volunteering the world needs people like you!
LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!
Maybe you are not such a BITCH!!!

Maven said...

Snap a picture of you and the five year old AND the doll babies... what a sweet and empowering story. Hopeful even!!

Yankee, Transferred said...

Good for you for being accessible for the little kid! I've been reading for a while and love this blog.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...