Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Honest, honesty, honestly...

When my father, rest his soul, died suddenly of a heart attack several years ago a bitch received a lot of regrets, apologies and sympathetic murmurs. The shock must have put my home training on autopilot, because I'm pretty sure my ass answered with the anticipated gracious responses.

I wasn't being honest.

No, I wasn't okay.

Yes, this bitch was angry...burning with it...crippled by it.

And I was incapable of being honest about that, even with myself.

I later recalled that my father actually made a study of that shit...in his own weird way. Whenever someone would ask him how he was, he would answer...well, honestly.

"Terrible. How about you?"

He was always amused when people responded with stunned silence. I was always amazed by those that didn't even notice.

"Great." they replied without looking him in the eye. "So am I!"

Yeah.

People may inquire out of real concern, but they sure as shit didn't want to hear the truth. Oh no...this was a well choreographed social dance and honesty was to be left on the sidelines.

I thought of that shit as I watched the press descend on the Gulf region...of the softly asked questions that begged for the politely absolving response.

One year ago Katrina hit...and hit...and hit.

And then come water.

Then come pain.

Over one thousand people dead...thousands upon thousands displaced...miles upon miles, acres followed by acres destroyed.

The rest...this coverage...appears as theatre for the masses. A visual sedative playing across 500 channels to soothe rather than inform, calm rather than inspire and acquit rather than indict.

Honest?

At last, honesty?

Not yet.

Honestly, I don't think so...

May those touched by this tragedy find strength for the struggle...comfort as they mourn...and solid ground on which to rebuild.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's some sedative-free coverage for you... apologies if you've seen it already.

Anonymous said...

That was a very beautiful post. I don't live in America, but I felt for those people who suffered under Katrina. I could never really understand, but I hope that one day it will be made right, or at least better, for the survivors.

christine mtm said...

amen and amen, sister.

keep preaching the truth!

The Angry Black Man said...

Deep post. Great job at capturing the bullshit guilt trip of the media and political establishments.

J said...

I wonder if those people will ever be OK again...I think of the stress that they went through, and are still going through, and I don't know how they manage it.

Anonymous said...

My father passed away in Jan 04 from a heart attack. He was scheduled to go into the hospital the next morning for a prostate cancer biopsy. As the oldest child, I made all the arrangements for his funeral, wake etc. I told people quite honestly that I felt that my dad woulda rather DIED than have a prostate biopsy. They seemed shocked at my "flippant" attitude, but I -knew- that I was right.

Anonymous said...

Hello ABB

It was the saddest thing I have ever witnessed. I remember staying up to almost five in the morning watching the news. It was just unbelievable that hurting poor people suffered for so long without simple food and water. I couldn't believe it took 5 days for the military to get food on the ground to hurting people. Come on...we have the strongest military in the world. What the f*ck happened?? How could sh*t like this happen in America.

Anonymous said...

Hello ABB

It was the saddest thing I have ever witnessed. I remember staying up to almost five in the morning watching the news. It was just unbelievable that hurting poor people suffered for so long without simple food and water. I couldn't believe it took 5 days for the military to get food on the ground to hurting people. Come on...we have the strongest military in the world. What the f*ck happened?? How could sh*t like this happen in America.

Anonymous said...

Was wondering what any of you thought of the Spike Lee documentary, When the Levees Broke. We have it on Tivo, I made it through Act III at about midnight last night.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...