Thursday, April 09, 2009

Sit back, relax and enjoy the show...

A bitch is catching up on the latest Somali pirate breaking but sorta-developing so let’s get some awkward as hell interviews with emotional family members to fill time news.

I double-checked with my family’s resident pirate expert, C-Money. She claims that the Somali pirates tried to take the Maersk Alabama, occupied it for a spell, were overthrown by the crew, entered into some sort of negotiation for prisoner exchange but ultimately took the Captain hostage.

C-Money’s analysis – “Apparently they broke faith, but they’re pirates.”

I’m not sure if those are the exact details but it sounds pirate-ish to this bitch.

Anyhoo, the Navy is now on the scene and all eyes are on the pirate hostage takers.

A bitch’s prediction – the pirates will hold out as long as they can, so I anticipate a lot of awkward as hell time filler interviews in our pirate news future.

Moving forward…

Last night a bitch and C-Money got our documentary film watch on. We screened The Take (Avi Lewis Naomi Klein) and The Trials of Henry Kissinger (Eugene Jarecki).

I highly recommend The Take, which is about workers in Argentina taking over a factory that was closed down due to fubar economics. I found myself cheering in my couch-based area and fretting over the twists and turns of the worker’s struggle to gain control of the factory.

A bitch gives The Take four out of five fierce Afros.

I can also recommend The Trials of Henry Kissinger. I wasn’t nearly as familiar with Kissinger’s role in certain historical events as I thought I was…and this documentary has inspired this bitch to get my research.

This bitch gives The Trials of Henry Kissinger four out of five Afros.

Warning – The Trials of Henry Kissinger does feature a lot of Chris Hitchens, but he’s the political thinker Hitchens not the women can’t take a joke one.

Oh he’s still Hitchified but not so Hitched that one can’t watch the film for fear of a detour into the birth stories of the ancient gods…or random Kipling quotes.

Blink.

Toodles…

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the movie reviews Shark Fu!

Unknown said...

Exactly how much Hitches? I can only take so much of that guy... ;)

Anonymous said...

I love how you characterize your reaction to Chris Hitchens. He's so smarmy/smart.

Dissident Sister said...

Right? I'm glad someone recognizes that that dude needs to come with a warning label. How many times has his mug popped up on a screen and you found yourself involuntarily groaning, " Aw, NAW..."

You never know which Hitchens you're going to get!

suiteSTL said...

I wish I had a priate expert in my family!

Lala said...

I may check the Kissinger one out, I don't really know much about him but I like history.

Rileysdtr said...

(cough - ahem? Hockey?)

Shark-Fu said...

My nerves are fried and all I can say is...GO BLUES!!

More later...

Valkyrie607 said...

Christopher Hitchens is a complete ass but he's an entertaining and intelligent ass, so I find myself able to forgive him his assiness.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Nell Gwynne said...

Love "The Take". I watched it in my gov/Econ class. "Life and Debt", about the negative effect of institutions like the IMF and the World Bank on Jamaica, is also really good too.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...