Friday, October 13, 2006

October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month

October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month

I have seen too many battered faces.

I have seen too many children with eyes full of fear, confusion and pain.

I have seen chaos, brutality and abuse.

And I have seen hope, healing and empowerment.

I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge and thank those who work to end violence in our communities. Thank you to the advocates, activists, counselors, social workers and law enforcement professionals and thank you to the volunteers.

If you are or think you may be the victim of domestic violence, contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

The Hotline is staffed 24 hours a day by trained counselors who can provide crisis assistance and information about shelters, legal advocacy, health care centers, and counseling.

For more information, view the Feminist Majority Foundation’s List of Internet Resources.

In St. Louis city and county, Women’s Support and Family Services is a fantabulous resource. Since 1976, WSFS has helped thousands of women and teens break the cycle of violence.

The Crisis Line is available 24 hours a day 314-531-2003.

For more information about Women’s Support and Family Services check out this link.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there. I wanted to drop a line that I found your blog today and read several entries. I have bookmarked and want to keep reading! Thank you

Maven said...

Hey ABB, another great, informative post!

Please check out my post regarding "The Mother of the Year." Perhaps if she had this information when she was being beaten by her boyfriend, perhaps she would not have resorted to using her swaddled, one-month old infant as a weapon, beating her boyfriend with him. Not only has she been brutalized, but this child might not ever "be right." A one month old with a skull fracture and bleeding on the brain... It's like that "Baby Lisa" thing fron NYC from the 1980s all over again...

AOB said...

Check out:

www.livinginhell.com

Been there..done that..got THAT T shirt too....

Trouble is...mostly no one cares about domestic violence towards women and children. Females are still viewed as second class citizens in every country on the face of the earth.

In China, parents kill baby girls.

In Africa, parents mutilate the
genitalia of girls....

In muslim countries females are wrapped in rags and beaten if a male sees any skin because its the womens' fault if a man gets aroused...

Women are kidnapped, traffiked and sold as sex slaves and the world governments do minimal lip service to it...shit even the USA says something about it once in awhile....

In Thailand female CHILDREN work in the sex trade so that wealthy European and American men can act out their perversions....

Domestic abuse is a 24/7/365 worldwide fight.

CP said...

You know where I stand on this issue. I walked that trench. Now, I pay all my good fortune forward with community work and helping women out of abusive situations. It's my passion.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

CP.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...