Monday, December 01, 2008

Pondering World Aids Day...

I remember the first time I heard of Aids and saw images of those suffering from it flash across the television screen.

I remember friends lost…the hateful rhetoric of those who saw their death as God’s judgment…the courageous activists who have taken us so far…the marches and protests…the songs and poems…and the continuing presence of Aids in the world.

And I circle back to the fact that every day is World Aids Day.

Every second…and we must place a priority on treatment, research and education.

Every hour…and we cannot afford to continue to think of Aids as someone else's problem.

Every day…and we must discuss of Aids impacts our loved ones and communities and act on that accordingly from a position of respect.

Every second...every hour…every single day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a nice article on sfgate.com about Ward 86 in SF General Hospital. It was Ground Zero for HIV/AIDS treatment on the west coast, at least.

My favorite quote: "I never thought I'd live to see my 50s. Now I worry about my blood pressure and cholesterol."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/01/BAQQ14C7KT.DTL

desirae! said...

you're so right. i lost a family member to AIDS. hopefully with enough research and people with your mentality soon no one will have to lose someone they love to it.

desirae! said...

you're so right. i lost a family member to AIDS. hopefully with enough research and people with your mentality soon no one will have to lose someone they love to it.

Anonymous said...

Let the church say"AAAAAAAMEN"

Anonymous said...

ABB,

Up here in Canada, some exciting shit is going down.

http://rabble.ca/news/coalition-majority-were-better-harper

Crazy.
Gotta love it.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...