Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Remembering Zelma Henderson...

Zelma Henderson, the last surviving Topeka plaintiff from the Brown v. Board of Education case, has died.

In remembering her, we should remember why she joined the struggle and signed on to the case.

"I wanted my children to know all races like I did," she said "It means a lot to a person's outlook on life. No inferiority complex at all, that's what I wanted for my children as far as race was concerned.” (As reported by The Associated Press in 2004)

Zelma Henderson was 88 years old.

4 comments:

Mo said...

wow, I didn't know the others had died as well.

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hello there! {waves}

I didn't know she died. Her living was NOT in vain. May she rest in peace.

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

You are welcome to visit:
http://blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogpsot.com
We are discussing the new black women's Political Action Committee that another blogger is starting next month.

Mac Daddy Tribute Blog said...

She was a beautician who lived in Topeka, Kansas all of her life. I love it when we common folk get props for being heroes!

Unknown said...

I loved the picture of her that the MSNBC writeup had. Taken in 04, she looked so proud, so strong.

She is now with the rest of them who stood so tall against such horrible odds.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...