Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Remember Del Martin…

The fantabulous Del Martin has passed away.

I remember falling in awe of her and her partner of 55 years, Phyllis Lyon, while watching the documentary No Secret Anymore: The Times of Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon.

Del Martin was the very definition of an activist – her work set the bar that so many of us aspire to.

In a statement posted on the National Center for Lesbian Rights, her partner Phyllis Lyon is quoted…

“Ever since I met Del 55 years ago, I could never imagine a day would come when she wouldn’t be by my side. I am so lucky to have known her, loved her, and been her partner in all things,” Lyon said. “I also never imagined there would be a day that we would actually be able to get married. I am devastated, but I take some solace in knowing we were able to enjoy the ultimate rite of love and commitment before she passed.”

In lieu of flowers, gifts can be made to honor Del’s life and commitment and to defeat the California marriage ban through NCLR’s No On 8 PAC at www.nclrights.org/NoOn8.

May she rest in peace…

7 comments:

Infuriated Faggot said...

Hey abb!

I need to know where you get your shirts made...what they look like cost-wise, etc...

any input?

your brother in the struggle-

HammerChe

Shark-Fu said...

HammerChe...

Cafe Press and they cost me nothing. Follow the link to my store & check it out...

Sana said...

incredible.

Anonymous said...

a moment of silence for Del.

Thanks for this.

woodsba said...

I am so sadden by this news. She was an inspiration to so many of us..a beacon of light in what was at times difficult times. She will be missed by all who value equality and freedom.

Pat Nelson said...

Thank you for remembering Del.

Frogspond said...

I was with my wife in your neck of the woods last week when this happened. I don't really watch the news and had fallen behind in my blogs.

I am praying for her wife. So long together. Amazing. She will be so missed.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...