Friday, October 26, 2012

Pondering friends…

I’ve had the worst week of sleep, y’all!


I suspect that this sleep drama is the result of the changing season and political campaign anxiety.  I always have this problem in the final 2 weeks of political frenzification…tis the worst!

Pause…yawn…continue.

Anyoo...shall we?

I’m beyond excited that a certain Brother Rob Thurman is coming to town for a visit!  Longtime readers know that Rob gave me this blog as a birthday present damn near 8 years ago…and that he is a treasured friend plus co-founder of the United Church of Bitchitude and Latter Day Drunks.

I’m lucky to have a fantabulous chosen family of friends who are as dear to me as the family I was born into. 

But…well…clearly some folk are using a different definition of “friend” than I’m working with.

And the choir asked… “What do you mean?  Of whom do you speak?”

And a bitch replied… “Settle down and listen, damn it…patience!”

Cough.

I woke up to the news that John Sununu, being interviewed by Piers Morgan (ugh), responded to news of Colin Powell’s endorsement of President Obama with…
Sununu: "Frankly, when you take a look at Colin Powell, you have to wonder if that's an endorsement based on issues, or whether he's got a slightly different reason for preferring President Obama?"

Morgan: "What reason would that be?"

Sununu: "Well, I think when you have somebody of your own race that you're proud of being President of the United States, I applaud Colin for standing with him."
Wow. 

Oh, I know…I’ve heard it all…I get it that it is a lot easier to ignore the reason’s Powell gave for his endorsement than spit at his feet and pivot to some "black people have to support black politicians because it is required for renewal of our Race Card" bullshit.

I’m not surprised that Sununu went there.  He’s an ass. What struck me was that, when issuing the predictable “I didn’t mean it like that” statement, Sununu said he and Powell are friends.
Sununu: "Colin Powell is a friend and I respect the endorsement decision he made and I do not doubt that it was based on anything but his support of the president’s policies. Piers Morgan’s question was whether Colin Powell should leave the party, and I don’t think he should.”
Um.

I call bullshit!

Race baiting isn’t respect.

Sununu made it clear when he race baited that he thinks Powell’s decision was motivated on some sort of race loyalty.

If Morgan was asking whether Powell should leave the GOP then Sununu’s answer was so fucking off topic he should have his hearing evaluated.

And friendship is based on respect…and that’s something Sununu clearly doesn’t have for Powell.

That brings me to the unfortunate reality this Sununu insult shines light on. 

Sununu is clearly a graduate of The School of Tolerance, where he learned to tolerate Powell’s blackness by focusing on his decades of loyalty to the GOP.

The problem is that The School of Tolerance enables bullshit.

The School of Tolerance is a weak foundation for relationships and it shits out people who can smile in your face, eat at your table, joke with you and golf with you and maybe even vacation with you…

…and, when pressed by a weak ass follow-up question that should have elicited the response Sununu came up with hours later for his “I didn’t mean it like that!” statement, shit all over you.

Pause…sip coffee…continue.

I will, however, give Sununu points for demonstrating in one clumsy verbal malfunction why the GOP struggles to gain the support of minority voters.

Well done!

***slow hand clap***

1 comment:

Jeffrey Ricker said...

I wonder if Mr. Powell is thinking, "With friends like these...."

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...