Friday, March 19, 2010

An email in my inbox...

The 20th day of March is the seventh anniversary of the beginning of the Iraq War.

Yet, when I checked the CNN homepage I couldn’t find a story…just the word “Iraq” under Hot topics trending at number seven, just below Corey Haim.

Blink.

Well, I’ve got Iraq War related news this anniversary.

A certain AIV (name and rank withheld by request), who served and was wounded in Iraq, sent me an email this morning.

I first heard from AIV years ago when he wrote to me in response to a post…we struck up an e-discussion (actually, ‘twas more like a good argument) that went on until AIV sustained a traumatic brain injury.

A fellow soldier sent word that AIV was injured…and several months later his mother contacted me to say she read my blog to him every day. It’s been a long journey toward recovery and it ain’t over yet, but…

…AIV sent this bitch an email today.

Butt ass early in the morning, too!

And that’s news…big news, damn it.

AIV asked me to post that we must not forget the millions of Iraqis, thousands of Americans and soldiers from allied nations…that we must not forget the dead and wounded and the families who are left behind.

Seven years ago, this nation went to war…with networks fighting to cover every angle and pundits scrambling to get their spin on…with embedded reporters and constant coverage.

Seven years ago, the invasion of Iraq was big news.

Now, though we remain at war, coverage of the Iraq War is for the opinion pages if mentioned at all.

That, too, is news.

Go on with your bad self, AIV.

Keep on keeping on…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thank you for making my son laugh at least once a day.

AIV's MOM

Ashleas said...

AIV's Mom? Thank him for me for his service. And Thank you, Ma'am for raising such a wonderful and brave man.
ABB? Thank you for being you.

Anonymous said...

Happy spring AIV & AIV's mom!

finnius said...

It really doesn't seem that long, but it has been a very long and sad war. My hat's off to AIV and my heart wishes him well.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...