Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Back Up Your Birth Control!

Today is Back Up Your Birth Control Day!

Birth control works, but shit happens and people need to be prepared should that happening of shit happen.

Blink.

The good thing is that people can be prepared thanks to the availability of emergency contraception over the counter!

Pause…consider…continue.

Well, actually…emergency contraception is available over the counter to people 18 years old and older.

Younger people still have to get a prescription for emergency contraception.

And the choir asked… “Why’s that, bitch?”

And a bitch replied… “According to a US District Court ruling on March 23, 2009, the FDA “acted in bad faith and in response to political pressure” in imposing the age restriction. The court urged the FDA to re-review the evidence for over-the-counter access to anyone at risk of unintended pregnancy. The FDA has had a year to remove the restriction but has done nothing.”

Click here and tell the FDA that the buzzer has sounded and time is up...time has been up...shit, they are in default!

Today is Back Up Your Birth Control Day, y’all…take action now and tell the FDA to act now so that all women have access to emergency contraception over the counter.

Thanks!

5 comments:

RachelB said...

Done. Thanks for posting the link, Shark-fu!

Yankee, Transferred said...

Sing it, Shark-Fu! My youngest will be 18 in May, but I wouldn't blame her if she wanted to get this WITHOUT TELLING ME between now and then!

Tiburón said...

If I may...I'd like to share an experience about emergency contraception.

I've used it in the past - condom broke. Took my little self to the Walgreens and bought it no problems.

I'm now studying abroad in Chile. Didn't think to bring birth control or emergency contraception as I was in a relationship when I came. Well shit happens - relationships end when you're young and continents away what have you - and sex happens too.

So here I am in Santiago, Chile needing emergency contraception. I go to the pharmacy on the corner of my street and ask them for the "día después" pill. I am told I need a doctors prescription... stop and let the horror sink in.

How does a bitch tell her host family she needs the day after pill after being in their home for only 3 weeks?

With a band of friends we set off to find a doctor who will give me a prescription. Easier said than done. 7 hours later prescription in hand I go to the pharmacy to find out they don't carry it. Go to another - they don't carry it. Finally.. I find a pharmacy that has only one left.

Today I am enjoying my menstrual cycle knowing that I am not pregnant and very much appreciating the ease at which I can obtain emergency contraception in my home state.

ALWAYS BE PREPARED!

Unknown said...

Yes, because I am not trying to be a Grandma right now raising my 16 and 17 year old daughter's kids. They old enough to have em, they are old enough to emergency contracept em, especially cuz they are dating some damn fools right now! But that's for my blog.....LOL

Unknown said...

As usual, prevention is better than cure. Understand more on birth control pills and pregnancy

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...