Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Belatedly remembering…

Yesterday was the 45th anniversary of the terrorist attack on the 16th Street Baptist Church that took the lives of four young women.

This attack has always touched me emotionally because I first heard about it when I was around the same age as the young women who were murdered. Spike Lee’s documentary Four Little Girls provides an amazing portrait of the young women who lost their lives that day, the movement as it was when the attack happened and the impact of that bombing on America.

Denise McNair, Cynthia Wesley, Carole Robertson and Addie Mae Collins were murdered on September 15, 1963 when a bomb went off at the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham Alabama...

...just 45 years ago.

3 comments:

Eva said...

As someone who lived in B'ham, as the natives call it, from the age of 11 until I was able to leave of my own free will I can tell you that those 45 years still feel like yesterday in a lot of respects.

DeLarren Young Sr. said...

Thanks for blogging this event. You really have to take your hats off to the parents of these young girls for having the courage to help us understand THEIR story through that documentary.

It had to be pretty tough on them because it was tough to watch "Four Little Girls".

Anonymous said...

45 years ago in Birmingham? The scary part is that's now both a world and a lifetime away. I would lay both odds and money that more people can source "Tthis one time? At band camp?" easier "Than 45 years ago? In Birmingham?"

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...