Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Data training, an earthquake, and a potential hurricane…


Lawd.

I’ve been in Washington, DC for the New Organizing Institute’s Advanced Data Training…you know, so I can get my hard-core social change on…and it’s been a challenging and enriching experience.

I’ve been to DC several times and I know that it can be muggy this time of year, but the most excitement I was expecting out of DC during a Congressional recess and with President Obama on vacation was a random political scandal or race-baiting statement by [insert politician, staffer, or news outlet here].

So imagine my surprise when the earth freaking shook yesterday in the middle of a session about matching lists through Access!

Like a true Missourian, I did everything wrong and headed outside...swiftly.

Well, shit…I’m your go-to person during a tornado, but a sistah doesn’t experience earthquakes often!

Eventually the earth stopped shaking and everyone settled down to returned to training…but daaaamn, that was some freaky shit because I don’t expect earthquakes on the East Coast.

Pause…look around anxiously…continue.

And I’m beginning to think I may have pissed off the Goddess…

…because it looks like a hurricane is heading our way later this week.

Blink.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was really shocked when I heard an earthquake hit the East Coast, I have never heard of such a thing. Who was doing something crazy out there in the ocean was my first thought.

Denise said...

Glad you're okay. :-) And yeah...we're watching with wary eyes the status of the hurricane. *eesh*

Gina Pond said...

Oh, *you* haven't pissed off the Goddess, but I think some idiots in the Congress may have.

But, well, that's just *my* theory…

Jackie G. said...

Just an FYI. If a quake happens in your future, your best bet is to get under a table or desk and hold on. If not available, then go go for a doorway (with the caveat that a door may swing into you).

Going outside is a bad thing if only because of falling masonry and glass.

So says the Californian who had quakes last night and this morning.

Shark-Fu said...

Thanks Jackie!

Hattie said...

I've managed to be elsewhere for most of the strong earthquakes where I live now, But I'm sure my luck will run out.
5.8 is pretty strong!

Anonymous said...

I know I don't need to remind you of the New Madrid fault in your area. Be glad this is the first earthquake you've felt, because when that one lets go next time, it'll likely be a BIG mother!

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...