Monday, October 03, 2011

Aretha Franklin is amazing…and the Peabody Opera House is too!

Happy Monday, y’all!

This past weekend I was thrilled to be able to attend the re-opening of the Peabody Opera House featuring the fantabulous Aretha Franklinin concert. The re-opening gala concert extravaganza was also a fundraiser for the John L. Trotter Multiple Sclerosis Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine.

St. Louisan Ellie Kemper of "The Office" guided guests through the presentations, speeches, and presentations about speeches.

Pause…sip coffee…continue.

Oh…um, yeah…Jay Leno was there too.

Confession – I’m not a Jay Leno fan and he touched a few nerves Saturday trying to be edgy, but for the most part he managed to be sorta-funny. 

Anyhoo, the Peabody Opera House is a beautiful building that had fallen on bad times like far too many buildings and homes in St. Louis city. After being abandoned for 20 years, investors pumped millions of dollars into an exhaustive rehab and the results are stunning – restored to its original 1934 glory, the Peabody Opera House was truly the star of the show Saturday.

Twas fitting that Aretha Franklin headlined the event. The fantabulous Ree Ree has had a tough year or two…plagued by health problems and a fiendish press eager to report about her health problems.

I don’t need to know Aretha Franklin’s personal business regarding her health to wish her well or to be thrilled to see her on stage looking gloriously happy and putting on a Queen of Soul clinic.

Amazing.

3 comments:

Bridget Bufford said...

It sounds fantastic. My parents used to go to concerts there. I'm so glad St. Louis is preserving some of the old places!

Bridget Bufford

Mark said...

Yay Aretha!! Shark-fu, I don't know if we discussed this, but I am a huge Aretha fan (who isn't??) I knew she was having some health problems- not my business- but I saw a very recent picture of her in Rolling Stone. She looked so much slimmer, years younger, had fabulous hair, a fabulous wardrobe, impeccable nails and shoes matching the purse.

GO Aretha!! Did she seem that way to you? I recently read a biography of Aretha's father, the Reverend Clarence LaVaughn Franklin, a noted preacher and gospel artist. That book had me listening to gospel and to C.L.'s sermons for WEEKS. I missed good music and I missed Aretha when I was in Germany!! Aretha is AMERICA to me.

Seeing Aretha live was one of the highlights of my life.

Anonymous said...

Aretha... what can one say? Any time you're feeling down just play "Say a Little Prayer for You" sung by Aretha, and you'll be feeling better in no time. I listen opera, pop, jazz, all sorts of sounds - there is no doubt that Aretha is blessed with one of the most amazing and real voices of all.

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...