Monday, June 20, 2011

The Elements, hanging with my siblings, and a concert to remember…


Last week I attended Netroots Nation 2011 in beautiful Minneapolis Minnesota!  I had a great time, took copious notes, and returned home fired up and ready to make change.

I flew home Saturday.  When we landed, I checked my voicemail and found a message from my sister C-Money – Earth, Wind & Fire was in town, she got tickets, and we’d be taking our older brother Bill too.

Lots of readers know that our older brother is autistic…but longtime readers know that Bill loves him some Earth, Wind & Fire.  He particularly adores “September” so much that he sang the chorus…over and over again…for years.

As I rode the Metro into town, concern over Bill latching onto that chorus again joined my typical trepidation over taking him out into crowded unfamiliar places.  I have a hard time with folks staring at my brother and he is a vocal sort of guy…but I quickly decided that we were going to give this concert a go, rude ass staring people be damned!

I was beyond exhausted, but that worked in my favor…I was too tired to get truly uptight over what may or may not happen at the concert.

Anyhoo, C-Money had scored a ticket for a staff member at Bill’s residence…they picked us up and we headed to the Fabulous FOX Theatre in St. Louis.

Bill was in a great mood…he was fascinated by the ornate ceiling, still magnificent despite smoke damage from a recent fire.  He indulged in one moment of attempted manipulation over getting more than one soda pop...but after the concert began, Bill seemed intrigued by the psychedelic light show on stage.  We sat and enjoyed the music for a while and then we walked around because he’s not one to sit still for long periods of time.

Ultimately we ended up in an area just beyond the first floor seats.

Bill had a HUGE smile on his face...he was having a blast.  When he hugged one of the ushers I got worried…but when I went to apologize and explain, she just smiled and said... “He’s having fun!  That’s what this is about, right?” and went back to getting her groove on.

We didn’t stay for the entire concert…I’m not sure if Earth, Wind & Fire played "September."

But I did get a chance to dance with my brother…and to be reminded that lots of folks are not rude assholes and my brother is just fine out and about in the community.

It is fitting that our sibling family went to an Earth, Wind & Fire concert during Father’s Day weekend – our Dad loved this band and he would have been thrilled at the idea that his children had a great night out listening to fantabulous live music together.

Many thanks to the concession staff and ushers at the Fabulous FOX theatre – for the quick refills on soda pop and for being welcoming, accepting, and shaking your groove thangs along with the crowd!

And thanks to C-Money for having a great idea and acting on it...love ya!


Ba de ya - say do you remember
Ba de ya - dancing in September
Ba de ya - never was a cloudy day!

6 comments:

Roz B said...

Hey Shark -

I have been a fan of EWF since childhood (soundtrack of my summers in the 70s!) and it does my heart good to hear folks are still kind out there. I am glad your brother had an awesome time - saw them earlier this summer here in Va. at Fort Monroe and loved every. Single. Second. For a free concert it was very nice.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for rallying SharkFu. It was a great time.

C-Money

Vesuvian Woman said...

You are always blessed!

Anonymous said...

Once again you have managed to make me smile and cry at the same time. My favoritest of your posts are the ones about your brother. My brother Jason was special. We lost him back in 1984 when he was 14 (I was 15 and my sister Cee was a couple weeks shy of 13). Your tales of your adventures with your siblings help keep the memories of my brother close to my heart.

Thank You

Phoenix said...

You may want to check out some of the outdoor concerts at the History Museum. At least once a year they have an EWF cover band, and the space is large enough that your brother can move around a lot if he needs to.
Also.... Having worked with folks with differing abilities in the past, I am a big fan of taking them different places. It's difficult sometimes but I've learned that people need to see folks with differing abilities out in the community--- it helps them see people like your brother as just another person.

CRM tools said...

I am totally agree with you badkitty you are Right thanks for post..

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...