Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Fear and loathing in Gainesville…

Shall we?

There’s a small congregation in Florida and they hate Islam.

Specifically, the Christian fundamentalist congregation believes Islam promotes violence and that Muslims want to impose sharia law in America.

The congregation is led by Terry Jones…

…and he’s fixin to call down a clusterfuck of monumental proportions when he and his minions indulge in a festival of stupid by burning the Koran on September 11.

Here are my thoughts and quizzicals…

Why the fuck is Jones getting a pass for naming September 11 Burn a Koran Day?   

Where’s the angry mob sporting American flag t-shirts and shouting at the top of their lungs?   

The man has taken over September 11…he’s controlled the media spin for days…all anyone can talk about is whether or not this asshole is going to burn the Koran. 

How is it that the same folks who find the idea of building a Mosque blocks away from Ground Zero offensive don’t find the framing of September 11 as Burn the Koran Day offensive? 

I’d like to know…seriously…because it seems to me that Terry Jones has done quite a lot to distract the masses from a true remembrance of September 11.

Pause…sip coffee…continue.

As I watch interview after interview one thing jumps out at me – journalists seem unwilling to question the premise of Jones’ theory.

Have we really come to this…are we really so far gone off the deep end that some Mel Gibson adoring freak can make absolute and inaccurate statements about Islam and they are allowed to linger unaddressed like a stinky fart in a humid room?

For the love of reason, would someone puh-lease challenge this ass on the foundation of his protest – because the lack of challenge is an acceptance of his flawed premise and that acceptance adds fuel to the anti-Muslim frenzy that's sweeping across America.

The fire will eventually burn out...the debris will be swept away...but the lie will cling, lingering long after the smoke clears.

11 comments:

BreukelensFinest said...

I would say that I'm shocked, but I'm not. I live in NY and the amount of bigotry and ignorance that spilled from people's mouths was appalling. If people actually read the Koran before burning it, they would know that Islam isn't a religion of violence. And as for violence in religion, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black...

missdeeplyrooted.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It is amazing to me that church people would conceive of, applaud, or follow through on this insanity. I am outraged, as we all should be. "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers that you do unto me." What are these people really thinking? It is a disgusting act, that you think a preacher would see as really wrong. He should be questioned, and challenged long and hard. This is wrong!

Delux said...

It seems to me the media wants the stupid to go as long and as far as possible; look at how many outlets covered the press conference for the interfaith call to oppose Koran burning..

redneck liberal said...

You know you can become an ordained minister online for $6.99 right? You don't even have to take a test or nothing. Just enter your credit card and get a fancy scroll in the mail that entitles you to be a minister, pastor, rabbi, whatever. You get to conduct weddings, baptisms, funerals and make collections. You can even gather round a few other nutjobs and call yourself a church and quit paying taxes. Or do we think this twat in Gainesville went to a seminary?

LazyCouchPotato said...

Sh!t like this just makes my head spin. I'm a Catholic and I know that people of all religions are capable of great violence and ignorance, even though their religions preach otherwise. This level of hate makes me want to go agnostic quick.

Cockbag LLC said...

As someone who is not very religious I have to ask this "pastor" what would Jesus do? That and so much for loving thy neighbor! I think the media also has to take so blame for giving this asshat any exposure. Ignore him and he will go away, but instead they are making a huge deal of it. One thing that was covered today in the news is that in the church the municipality is located in does not allow for burning other than firewood.

blk bitch 2 said...

I don't mean any disrespect but are you really black? Reading a few of your blogs I got confused and even cringed a few times. I don't mean to offend but I am a black woman and to me you seem to sound like your puttin' on. You know what puttin' on means don't you? Maybe this is some inside joke that you and your viewers share, I don't know. Sarcasim, especially about black women, is lost on me. This is my first time visiting. Definitely my last.(Lawd?.... Really?)

Shark-Fu said...

Yes, I'm really black.

Christ Jesus, honey...that's not the kind of question you can ask and then attempt to smooth it over with "I don't mean to offend..."

Yes, you do.

Why bullshit?

Your entire comment was "meant to offend"..."do you know what puttin on means?" - girl please, that's the very definition of "meant to offend"!

But you got it wrong, sister - sarcasm (and there is no "i" in the word, woman) by a black woman is lost on you.

And something tells me the nuance of that flew by you too.

Lawd...yes, really.

J said...

I don't understand why all of the attacks on Islam and the Mosques nationwide are not being considered the Hate Crimes that they are. All of this is reminiscent of the KKK and their actions. If nothing else, it is very blatantly 'terroristic threats'.

There is nothing in our Constitution, let alone 'Freedom of Speech' that allows for this kind of behavior and action. In fact, the Laws on the books are quite the opposite.

If our country started rounding these haters up and prosecuting them for their hate crimes the rest of the world might actually have some more respect for us. God forbid ANY Congressman or Senator...or even the White House...speak out or take any action to prevent this shit from happening.

If either of my cousins serving in Afghanistan are hurt or killed because of this idiot...Mr. Jones will answer to me.

Kelley said...

Well, the answer to hate speech is more speech so I'm sure the good pastor won't mind if the faithful of the United Church of Bitchitude and Latter Day Drunks gather across the street to burn some bibles and consume some vodka followed by some cran.

Shark-Fu said...

Thanks y'all!

And this black hockey fan is too excited about the arrival of our new goalie Jaro Halak to let this trifling shit weigh me down - go Blues!

I may have to host a Soul Sisters Hockey Night the next time the Blues play the Hawks...

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...