Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wow, that was some ugly ass shit…

A bitch caught up on the Sotomayor hearings last night and…well, that was some ugly ass shit.

Listening to Senator Sessions was like looking into a kitchen at a diner and seeing one of the cooks take a piss in the soup du jour. The man clearly has unresolved issues from his own failed attempt to get confirmed by Judiciary…and damn it all if he didn’t prove the committee got that shit right when he spent yesterday demonstrating a frightening inability to understand what a witness is saying, accurately quote and distinguish a fact from the wild speculations going on in his head.

Prior to the hearing Sessions said he intended to use the confirmation hearing as an educational moment…

…but a bitch didn’t realize he intended to educate the masses on ig’nant ass shit.

My favorite part of yesterday’s hearing was the awkward as hell and totally off -topic invoking of Miguel Estrada, who was nominated by Bush but not granted a hearing.

Senator Graham used Estrada to point out that he could imagine a scenario in which he could vote for a Hispanic nominee – ouch L Man, that’s right up there with “I may be treating you like you don’t have a lick of sense but I have Hispanic friends.”

Senator Sessions went on and on about Estrada and ended up giving the impression that he was pissed off that his kind of Hispanic nominee was dissed. I half expected to hear him say that as far as he’s concerned aren’t all Hispanics the same and if we’ve gotta have one on the bench can’t we at least have one we’ve trained like Thomas?

Mercy.

I fear day three shall be more of the same…

10 comments:

Nell Gwynne said...

I spent my Spring break traveling with the Episcopal Campus Ministry affiliated with the University of Missouri, and we got to observe Sessions rant and rave on the Senate floor, with a fancy chart as an illustration. At that time, I didn't know about Sessions' history of using extremely racist terms, and I now wish I had known, so I could scream RACIST!!!!! in the chamber. Sure, I would've been thrown out, and wouldve totally embarrassed my group and leader, but I think it would be worth it.

Hypatia said...

It is ugly; no doubt. I think moments like this are good on some level, though, because they make people like Sessions show their tails.
Every time one of these bigots is provoked into dropping his voice down out of dog-whistle range, a whole swath of the country-- the people who will swallow bullshit with even the thinnest sugar coating, but balk at actually walking up to a manure pile with a spoon and digging in-- is alienated from the right wing.

Unknown said...

I half 'spected Graham to say "I'm not racist, my gardener is Hispanic."

macon d said...

Yes, what Hypatia said. The longer these hearings go on, the lower the Republican brand's stock value sinks.

It's also great to hear people all over the place saying, and understanding, that white men tend to blindly think of themselves as objective and neutral, when they aren't really any more so than others.

CP said...

You can roll shit around in sugar and honey...and it doesn't make it any less shit.

I like Ms. Sonia. I think she is going to be an amazing addition to the old boys club.

Debby said...

Yeah this stuff has been nuts. Any thoughts on why Alberto G. didn't have to go through the "you got some 'splainin' to do..." ringer?

David Duff said...

Well, I watched some of it but two things became very apparent very quickly, so I switched off.

First, some of those Senators (either party) are world class, crashing bores incapable of asking a simple question simply. And some of them are lawyers!

Second, Ms. Sotomayor is obviously very second-rate, which is not unexpected because finding people with first-rate brains is by definition exceedingly difficult.

A third thing, perhaps; she is also a humbug of the first water. The manner in which she dis-avowed her clearly reported earlier statements obviously indicates that she will sing any song for whomsoever is throwing her peanuts!

I get the distinct impression that she will fit in very well with most of her fellow justices.

SagaciousHillbilly said...

arg. It's difficult seeing these morons perform. I keep thinking "WTF? Is this the best we got?"

The founding fathers had it right. . . public service is something one should do AFTER they have prven themselves in the real world be having a successful career and establishing themselves as someone with some intellect and credibility. It should not be a career but a burden between middle and old age.

Unknown said...

Yep, it was ugly..damn fucking ugly wasn't it?

Today was not much better, but it's all over now...with certain republicans waxing poetic about Judge Sotomayor after they had tried to chew her up and spit her out.

Old White guys sure can sling the shit..the question is..can they take it? ;)

David Duff said...

"Old White guys sure can sling the shit..the question is..can they take it?"

Speaking for myself, and I qualify on all counts, yes!

The Gumdrop Stage of Grief ...

So many of you have shared condolences and support after the death of my beloved brother Bill from COVID-19. I wish I could thank you indiv...